1. Seed division became one of the 8 divisions when Myanmar Agriculture Service, Ministry of Agriculture and Irrigation, was reformed in 1990. From that time on, the performance had emphasized on the successful implementation of the objectives of the division. As the seed division was reformed from previous the applied research division, the agricultural farms under applied research division has become seed farms under the seed division.
2. Seed division was formed due to the requirement of the State for the development of agriculture sector. As agriculture-based country, Myanmar depends its economic development on agriculture. So, it is essential to implement in the agriculture sector by setting up its priority to increase in crop production and in the quality of the produced. The use of pure seed is one of the topmost factors to increase in crop yield. The use of good quality seeds will increase crop yield and the quality of crop produced.
In Myanmar, agriculture department was founded in 1901 to work on agriculture business. For the multiplication and distribution of new crop varieties, Mandalay farm and Hmawbi farm were established in 1907 and 1908, respectively. From that time on, those farms have been conducting breeding, multiplying and distribution of new rice varieties. After 1920, Seed Project phase (1) was initiated by establishing seed farms in different locations.
With the project, systems that Myanmar never had before such as systematic seed multiplication, seed quality control techniques, and seed standard certification, have been determined, and implemented. In 1985-86, the implementation of the Seed Project phase (2) was initiated with the objective of establishing a seed division under Myanmar Agriculture Service. With that objective, the seed division was formed to take duties and responsibilities in production and distribution of quality seeds required for crop production in agriculture sector.
Objectives of Seed Division
Seed division has been working with the following objectives to implement its duties and responsibilities effectively.
(1) To produce quality seed systematically
(2) To implement systematic quality seed control to meet seed standards for purity and good germination.
(3) To perform capacity building training and crop demonstration so that farmers will become aware of the advanced technology to follow it.
(4) To establish, organize and implement pure seed model villages so that they can produce and distribute pure and good quality seeds in a large scale.
Seed Law's Progress
- The State Peace and Development Council here by enacts the seed law with The State Peace and Development Council Law No.1/2011) on 7th January, 2011.
- The seed law and regulation was carried out to legally promulgate, that was discussed with Union Attorney General Office.
- The seed law and regulation (Draft)was amended the advices after discussion with agriculturalists from Ministry of Agriculture, Livestock and Irrigation.
- The Law Amending the Seed Law (Draft) was carried out the amending, discussion and planning.
- The Law Amending the Seed Law (Draft) was amended lead from Deputy Director General according to remark of Deputy Minister.
- The Law Amending the Seed Law (Draft) was send in first time to scrutinize from ရုံးအဖွဲ့မှူး၊ Ministry of Agriculture, Livestock and Irrigation to Union Attorney General Office.
- The group leading Director General, Department of Planning, Ministry of Agriculture, Livestock and Irrigation was gone to explain and submit in relating to The Law Amending the Seed Law (Draft) to Hluttaw Committee on 26th, August, 2014.
- The Law Amending the Seed Law (Draft), that was scrutinize from Union Attorney General Office was send to supplement and amend the requirements to Department of Agriculture, Ministry of Agriculture, Livestock and Irrigation.
- Department of Agriculture was sent amendment to Union Minister Office after which was discussed with Union Attorney General Office from 21st, September, 2013 to 19th, January, 2014.
- ရုံးအဖွဲ့မှူးသည် sent the amendment second time to scrutinize and advice to Union Attorney General Office. ပြည်ထောင်စုရှေ့နေချုပ်ရုံး၏ အကြံပြုချက်နှင့် အညီ ပြင်ဆင်ဖြည့်စွက်ရေးဆွဲထားသည်ကိုတွေ့ရှိရ၍ အထူးမှတ်ချက်ပြုရန်မရှိပါကြောင်း လယ်ယာစိုက်ပျိုးရေးနှင့် ဆည်မြောင်းဝန်ကြီးဌာနသို့ အကြောင်းပြန်ကြားချက်ကို ပြန်လည်ပေးပို့ခဲ့ပါသည်။
- The Law Amending the Seed Law (Draft) was sent to President Office on 2nd, July, 2014.
- President adopted the Law Amending the Seed Saw on 5th, August, 2014.
- In လုံ/တည် meeting, the Law Amending the Seed Law was explained on 27th, August, 2014.
- The Law Amending the Seed Law was sent to enacts as law to Union Attorney General Office on 3rd, September, 2014.
- send to carry out continuously to Union Hluttaw Office for enacts by Government Office.
- Advertized in the new light of Myanmar and Mirror for publication on 23rd, September, 2014.
- National Hluttaw (Law Draft) Committee discussed in detail The Law Amending the Seed Law with The Ministry of Agriculture, Livestock and Irrigation. After amending, this amendment notified to adopt by National Hluttaw Committee.
- The Law Amending the Seed Law (Draft) and National Hluttaw’s approve tables were sent to notify and pre-study to Union Hluttaw (Law Draft) Committee on 30th, October, 2014.
- This Law (Draft) notified after this law (Draft) agreed in first Public Hluttaw (11) times regular meeting and it was reply to National Hluttaw with 05/patha (kamata)1/2014-592 on 26th, November, 2014.
- The Law Amending the Seed Law was enacts by Pyidaungsu Hluttaw Law No.5, 2015) on 18th February, 2015.
- Regulation Relating to the Seed Law was sent to ပြဌာန်းပြီးမျိုးစေ့ဥပဒေနှင့် မျိုးစေ့ဥပဒေကိုပြင်ဆင်သည့်ဥပဒေအား ဆက်လက်အကောင် အထည်ဖော်ဆောင်ရွက်နိုင်ရန်အတွက် လယ်ယာစိုက်ပျိုးရေးနှင့် ဆည်မြောင်းဝန်ကြီးဌာနမှ ရေးဆွဲထားရှိပြီးဖြစ်သည့် မျိုးစေ့ဥပဒေဆိုင်ရာလုပ်ထုံးလုပ်နည်း (မူကြမ်း) ကို လိုအပ်သလို စိစစ်အကြံပြုနိုင်ရန်အတွက် ၂၀၁၅ ခုနှစ်၊ မေလ (၂၁) ရက်နေ့တွင် စာအမှတ်၊ ၁/၂၂၀(ဂ) (၃)(၁၀၁၂/၂၀၁၅) ဖြင့် ပြည်ထောင်စုရှေ့နေချုပ်ရုံးသို့ ပေးပို့ခဲ့ပါသည်။
- ပေးပို့လာသော မျိုးစေ့ဥပဒေဆိုင်ရာ လုပ်ထုံးလုပ်နည်း(မူကြမ်း) ကို (၁၀-၉-၂၀၁၅) ရက်နေ့တွင် ပြည်ထောင်စုရှေ့နေချုပ်ရုံးမှ ဥပဒေကြောင်းအရ သဘောထား မှတ်ချက်ပြုရန် မရှိပါကြောင်း ပြန်ကြားခဲ့ပါသည်။
- မျိုးစေ့ဥပဒေဆိုင်ရာလုပ်ထုံးလုပ်နည်းများကို (၂၃.၂.၂၀၁၆) ရက်နေ့တွင် (၂၀၁၆ ခုနှစ်၊ အမိန့်ကြော်ငြာစာအမှတ်၊ ၆/၂၀၁၆) ဖြင့် ထုတ်ပြန်ကြေညာခဲ့ပြီးဖြစ်ပါသည်။